The program is designed to engage the fellow in all aspects of the publicity and marketing process, including writing pitches, creating press releases, researching reviewers and magazines, online and community engagement and social media, as well as other aspects of the publishing industry. This program is designed to be a dynamic experience, offering the fellow a valuable overview of the publicity process and publishing in general. Fellows are expected to work 8-10 hours per week and are paid $17 an hour, receive free books, mentorship, and professional recommendations.
The Nightboat Books fellowship is based in Brooklyn, NY; preference given to those who can be in the office once a week during the fellowship period.
Nightboat Books, a nonprofit organization, seeks to develop audiences for writers whose work resists convention and transcends boundaries, by publishing books rich with poignancy, intelligence and risk. We are committed to publishing complicated work by a diverse group of writers. We encourage people of all backgrounds, ages, races, ethnicities, gender and sexual identities, and disability statuses to apply.
Responsibilities and Qualifications
- 8-10 hours a week, for approximately 3 months
- Knowledge and enthusiasm about poetry and independent publishing
- Read our forthcoming books and draft pitches for outlets
- Conduct research on reviewers, magazines, venues
- Drafting posts and interviewing authors for blog
- Create and edit publicity packets
- Support in planning book launch events and logistics such as venue, lineup and promotion
- Attend and participate in select staff meetings
- Support creation and maintenance of digital content, including the Nightboat website, newsletter, social media, and more
- Passionate commitment to literature and desire to support Nightboat authors
- Excellent written, verbal, organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team while on a deadline
- Creative problem solving abilities as well as excitement about the fast paced world of publishing
Fellowship Sessions & Application Deadlines
SUMMER: June through August 2023. Application closes May 19th, 11PM Eastern.